Tantra, also called Tantrism, refers to an ancient Hindu spirituality, which diffused into most branches of Hinduism and Buddhism.
It is a non-dualist religion: there is not a divine creative force separated from its creations. It considers that the divine is in everything and every one of us.
Tantra is a set of texts and rituals and includes many practices, such as yoga, breathing techniques, meditation, and massage. In the last decades, the New Age movement emphasized the sexual aspects of Tantra, but it is a very reductive point of view. Nevertheless, in Tantra, lovemaking becomes a sacred ritual and a spiritual practice
Shiva & Shakti
Tantra considers that the universe is the result of the equilibrium of the Divine Masculine (Shiva), and Divine Feminine (Shakti).
Shiva is one of the three deities of Hinduism. He represents the pure universal consciousness, the masculine principle.
Shakti is the energy of this consciousness when she manifests. She symbolises the feminine principle, the activating power and energy.
Shiva and Shakti are different sides of the same coin. It is only when they combine that action, movement, and creation can arise.
Tantra is a science of the polarity. Any energy is characterised by two distinct poles: the solar one (male, yang, active, positive, emissive), and the lunar one (female, yin, passive, negative, receptive).
This perfect balance ensures the harmony of the universe. With Tantra, we aim to reach perfect balance within ourselves and with our partner.
Chakras & Energies
The circulation of energy in the human body-system is centred around the seven energy centres, called chakras.
They are regulators, coordinators of the various energies, and act as genuine antennas for energy exchange between man (human microcosm) and the Universe (macrocosm), or between human beings.
Those seven chakras correspond to energies of different frequencies. They are located along the spine (outside the physical body):
- Muladhara, the root chakra, is located in the area of the perineum and is connected with the lowest form of energy, usually referred to as Earth energy or vital energy. Physically, it governs sexuality; mentally, it governs stability; emotionally, it governs sensuality; and spiritually, it governs a sense of security.
- Svadhistana, the sacral chakra, is located in the sacrum and is connected with the Water and Moon energies. Physically, it governs reproduction; mentally, it governs creativity; emotionally, it governs joy; and spiritually, it governs enthusiasm.
- Manipura, the solar plexus chakra, is connected with the Fire and Solar energies. Physically, it governs digestion; mentally, it governs willpower; emotionally, it governs expansiveness; and spiritually, it governs all matters of growth.
- Anahata, the heart chakra, is located in the middle of the chest and is connected to the Air energies. Physically, it governs circulation; emotionally, it governs unconditional love for the self and others; mentally, it governs passion; and spiritually, it governs devotion.
- Vishuddha, the throat chakra, is located in the neck. Physically, it governs communication; emotionally, it governs independence; mentally, it governs fluent thought; and spiritually, it governs a sense of security.
- Ajna, the third-eye chakra, is located in the middle of the forehead. Ajna is connected to intuition and all extraordinary capacities of the mind. Mentally, it deals with visual consciousness; emotionally, it governs clarity on an intuitive level
- Sahasrara, the crown chakra, is located over the top of the head. It is related to pure consciousness and allows an opening towards the Supreme Absolute.
Sexual Energy & Sublimation
Tantra considers that, for most of us, sexual energy (primarily located in the first two chakras) is the easiest energy to learn to build. With proper techniques, one can move these energies upwards to higher chakras and use it for more "interesting" purposes, through a process called sublimation.
In Tantra, orgasm is not only a pleasant outcome of sex. It is a state of consciousness where one is the closest to the divine.
Tantra is the art of having as many orgasms as possible, for as long as possible. Tantra massage, and particularly yoni massage, is one of the most efficient way to develop orgasmic potential.
Ultimately, an advanced yogi can experience what is called Kundalini Awakening. Kundalini is a primal energy, located at the base of the spine. Its awakening involves the Kundalini moving up along the spine to reach within the sahasrara chakra, resulting in deep meditation, enlightenment and bliss.